Right now, most of our activities at East Hampshire Cycling for All (like our disability cycling and our Five Miles to Fabulous ride) are taking place at Alice Holt Forest. Most people tend to arrive by car (on the A325 between Bordon and Farnham) but it’s easy enough to get to Alice Holt by train and bike, or on foot.
Here are my suggested routes on Google Maps and couple of descriptions:
– Take the train to Bentley station. This is on the Waterloo-Alton line that comes though Woking and Aldershot.
– Then choose between a gentle 2 mile off-road route or an easy 2.5 mile road route:
– Cross to the station’s secondary platform, opposite the station building.
– Go through the white gate on your left, at the very end of the platform. There is a sign to Alice Holt.
– Follow this tarmac path uphill for about 500 metres. Don’t let the hill put you off. It’s only short! Give way to any pedestrians on this path.
– At the top of the hill, go straight ahead. Continue along this tarmac path until you see a group of buildings on your left.
– Take the off-road track to your right.
– This path soon comes to a junction with several other off-road tracks. Take the narrow one on your left.
– This path takes you to the A325. Carefully cross straight over the road. Take care – this road can be busy.
– On the other side of the road, follow the track until it meets a larger track – a forest road.
– Turn right on this forest road and follow to the forest centre.
On the Road
– Leave Bentley station by the front entrance. Turn left onto Station Road.
– When this road reaches the larger Blacknest Road, turn left again, beneath a bridge.
– Follow Blacknest Road road for a while until you reach a cross-roads by the Jolly Farmer pub.
– Turn left onto Binstead Road, and continue up a short hill untill you reach a major junction.
– Go left then immediately right into Dockenfield Street (effectively straight on). This junction can be busy, so get off and cross by foot if you feel safer doing so.
– Alice Holt Forest is a short way along Dockenfield Street, signed to the left.